What else do I need if I want to play with my mic on my own?

I read the post about mics for acoustic instruments and I want to know more about what I need to play with it on my own, without an engineer. Any thoughts on what to get next?

Continuing the discussion from I am a musician who plays an acoustic instrument. I want to play electro-acoustic stuff. What should I do about a microphone?:

There are two choices for what to do if you want to play with your mic on your own based on which of the following statements is most true today:

“I might want to record myself in the future.”

1. Call a music gear dealer or go to your local music shop and tell the sales rep you want to buy an inexpensive “audio interface” that works with your computer. Tell the rep you’ll be plugging in one mic that needs phantom power. Tell the rep what kind of computer you have. Tell the rep honestly what your level of comfort is with computers and computer recording.
  2. The Rep should suggest something less than $100. If they don’t, then tell them that you need something inexpensive. I’m sure Behringer (a discount brand but totally fine if you don’t abuse it) makes something for less than $50.
  3. Get the rep to explain exactly how to plug everything in.

“I might want to perform on stage with guitar pedals and loopers and all kinds of fun stuff in the future.”

1. Call a music gear dealer or go to your local music shop and say you have a mic that needs phantom power and you need a small cheap amp and everything needed to plug that mic into the amp.
  2. The Rep should suggest something like a small 2 channel mixer with phantom power, an XLR (aka mic) cable, a little 10 watt guitar amp, and an instrument cable.
  3. Get the rep to explain exactly how to plug everything in.

This will get you going with the least amount of cash spent. If you have a computer and are comfortable learning basic recording software (warning: it’s a little frustrating but will be rewarding if you want to record and play with sound) then I recommend that route. If you don’t have a computer and/or know a friend with lots of guitar pedals then I recommend the amplifier route.